Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Progress
Thread: Human Progress
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtlan22 View Post
Well as far as the environment is concerned there are too many people (and still rising) to be sustained by our planet, especially the way we consume in America. Also... genetic engineering is quite far along enough that 1000 years is a far larger estimate than necessary. Its a wild world. And we're using it up fast.
^I wrote "most species we share the planet with". I doubt you understand what I mean by that .. but I meant it literally.

If you genetically engineered every insect, every tardigrade, every bacteria, every nematode and so on species out there that we know of today, there would still be a crapload of stuff out there on the earth's surface, in the earth's crust or in the oceans that we don't know about yet. Since there's probably not much point in genetically engineering all of those, my prediction would probably come true when most of those are extinct aside from the ones we've genetically engineered. I think that could potentially take a lot of time, so I don't believe 1k years has to be an underestimation.