Music Banter - View Single Post - Dig Out An Oldie Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Peter Gabriel—So

I haven't listened to this album in years and year and years, I used to love it though. Listening to it now, it's definitely a product of it's time: the ultra-slick production, the tinges of world music, the chorus of female back up singers, everything about this album screams "1986" to me. I used to like a lot of music that fit this mold when I was much younger but I think I've really moved on from this kind of thing.

The songwriting still feels very strong. There's little doubt that songs like "In Your Eyes" and "Big Time" are solid, very well crafted pop songs but they don't move me the way they used to. It's not really the songs that are the problem here, it's me. My musical tastes have just changed a lot since the days when I used love this album.

One thing that's funny though is that the song on So that I think has probably aged the best is one I used to always view as filler: "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)". Now its sparse and somewhat more experimental sound make it seem like one of the standout tracks on the album to me.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote