Music Banter - View Single Post - Society, politics, social contracts and more!
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

Quote:
Since you live in USA, think about how christianity may act as a barrier between people. Separation of the church and state could help a little into easing these barriers between groups within the society.
I actually live in Australia, which is a much more secular country, our separation of church and state is pretty much complete. For which I am very glad.

Quote:
In a good state, the government will be made up by the people and will represent it's wishes. This works best in the political middle ground.
Yeah, the best compromise is a political middle ground. Which is an advantage of compulsory voting. In Aus there isn't nearly the polarisation that I see in the American voting system, we are cushioned by a large amount of apathy from people who only vote because they have to.
When someone isn't emotionally invested in a decision they can be a little more rational. Of course, the downside is that someone with no political awareness is easily influenced by scaremongering and ridiculous arguments.

Quote:
So you see, Fruitonica, while you are correct - a more rightist way of thinking may only make the problem worse and keep a society away from the overall life quality optimum.
Sorry for cutting out the bulk of your points, but I agree with pretty much everything you said. But, I'm not really sure how you linked them to my previous point, which sort of stood on its own and I didn't want to extrapolate from. If it came off as 'rightist', it was unintentional, I'm a fair way left of centre.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote