Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #384 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I have decided to revisit my most well known thread and see just how I feel about the placings now 4 years on from when I first started on it.

100. Dalek - Absense (2004)
Holy **** this is just brutal.If you want sheer raw noise this beats about 99% of most metal albums i`ve ever heard.Which isn`t bad considering it a hip hop album. If only more hip hop was like this.And no I didn`t choose this because of the Doctor Who connection , so there.

Favourite songs - Asylum (Permanent Underclass), In The Midst Of Struggle, Opiate The Masses

Today
I liked this a lot at the time. When I was doing this I found this album to be a breath of fresh air when I found a lot of hip hop had become stale & boring. I have to admit i've not really listened to this much since and I think if I was to do this list now I doubt it would make the top 100

Original Position - 100
Position Now - Out of the 100

99. Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup (1996)

Ahhhhhh , Krautrock influences mixed with pure pop melodies and not to mention Laetitia Sadier`s gorgeous horny voice.There is just so much going on in this record dance , hip hop , electronica , pop , rock , jazz , dub....... you have to listen to it again & again just to get everything.

Favourite songs - Metronomic Underground, Cyberies Revenge , Les Yper-Sound

Today
Back when I was doing this I hadn't really had much exposure to Stereolab. I'd only heard this and their debut. Since then I have amassed the bands whole discography & gotten into them a lot more. This would definitely be a lot higher in the list.

Original Position - 99
Position Now - Top 30 , maybe into the top 20

98. The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

I`m not the biggest Beatles fan by a long shot but this album HAS to be on the list.Would probably be a lot higher if it wasn`t for Yellow ****ing Submarine.

Favourite songs - Taxman , I`m Only Sleeping , Tomorrow Never Knows

Today
I still like this album a lot , I give it the odd airing once in a while but not too often. I still think it's head & shoulders above anything else they did.

Original Position - 98
Position Now - About the same

97 Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets (1973)

I`ll be honest , i`ve never actually heard that much of Eno`s solo stuff.Not even the album he did with David Byrne. I bought this album for the simple reason that it`s his first solo album AND because basically it`s a Roxy Music album without Bryan Ferry. It` s a lot more guitar based than I imagined an Eno solo album to be and the lyrics are just plain odd.But it does have this quirky charm to it. Very strange yet very compelling

Favourite Songs - Needles In The Camel`s Eye , Baby`s On Fire , Driving Me Backwards[/QUOTE]

Today
Like Stereolab I was just getting into Eno's solo stuff around the time this was written. It still gets plenty of plays and my liking of it grows with every one.This would be considerably higher.

Original Position - 97
Position Now - Top 40 - 30

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote