Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #386 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

92. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus (2004)

I can`t believe how awesome this record is. And it`s just so big sounding. It`s the kind of album i`ve been waiting for Nick Cave to come out with ever since I first heard him in 1994, before i`d always thought he was good but there was just something that stopped him coming out with a truly great album .Anyway he`s done it & this is an epic work of genius.

Favourite Songs - Get Ready for Love , Cannibal's Hymn , There She Goes My Beautiful World

Today
When I wrote this list this album had just come out & I was playing it to death. Before this album I liked Nick Cave but only individual songs rather than an entire album. Since then I have become a huge fan of Nick Cave & can see that this is probably his most commercial album he'd made up till that point. I wouldn't choose this album now , it would have to be Tender Prey and it would be a lot more higher than this.

Original Position - 92
Position Now - Out , But Tender Prey would be top 20

91. Echo And The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain (1984)

The Bunnymen`s influence on modern American indie is ****ing huge yet for some reason I don`t think they get anywhere near the credit they deserve. You ask any current Indie darlings of the press who`ve not ripped off the entire Gang Of Four back catalogue who they were inspired by & you can bet they`ll say the Bunnymen.Anyway this album was them at their peak. Their next album was their biggest selling but it`s a pale imitation of this one.

Favourite songs - The Killing Moon , Silver , Seven Seas

Today
I never really know what my favourite Bunnymen album is. It could be this , Crocodiles or Heaven Up Here. The decision would change on a daily basis. I think today I would go with Crocodiles and I would have it around this area of the chart.

Original Position - 91
Position Now - Out , With Crocodiles in it's place here

90. The Cramps - Off The Bone (1983)

OK I cheated , this is a singles compilation. But then i`ve never really been a big fan of theirs.I just like this because it`s a nice little package of their best stuff so you really don`t need to bother with the rest.And I think they did the whole 1950s B movie thing much much better than the Misfits ever did.

Favourite songs - Human Fly , Garbageman , Drug Train

Today
I'm still not a huge Cramps fan although I do like to blast them out occasionally ,and this is a pretty good summery of the best stuff at their peak. I don't think I would change anything here.

Original Position - 90
Position Now - 90

89. Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

I really don`t need to say anything about this do I ?

Today
I still have no interest in hearing this album again , however I have found myself getting a couple of Nirvana bootlegs and listening to them for the first time in years. I think I included this album just to prove a point and for nostalgia purposes more than anything. I think I would be more likely to put In Utero rather than this although I doubt either would make the list.

Original Position - 89
Position Now - Out

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote