Music Banter - View Single Post - Guided By Voices
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
ngob
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
That you like "alternative rock" but not "indie rock" makes no sense at all. Indie rock IS "alternative" rock - hence, the usual tag "indie/alternative". Me thinks what you actually like is mainstream rock - particularly, the sort that has unfortunately been wrongly attributed with the adjective "alternative".

GBV is the quintessential lo-fi indie pop/rock. If you were expecting The Killers and Bloc Party, then you came to the wrong band. If you were looking for something a little more profound, unusual and interesting, then you found it. Doesn't mean you have to like it or anything. But it's cutting edge music, going way beyond the kind of mundanity exhibited by Incubus, the Foo Fighters and Nickelback.
I guess I should have been more specific when I said 'alternative rock', since that label encompasses practically everything. I was thinking more in the vein of Pixies and Pavement. I like those bands. I do not like any band listed in your post.

Post-punk is probably under alternative rock too, and GBV was supposedly influenced by that movement. I am listening to bands like The Sound, The Chameleons and Wire. They all have a musical hook that I don't hear in GBV. I just find it boring and I don't think I can get over that.
ngob is offline   Reply With Quote