Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Rising Sons - Rising Sons Featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder
(1992)

Tracks

1. Statesboro Blues
2. If The River Was Whiskey
3. By And By (Poor Me)
4. Candy Man
5. Let The Good Times Roll
6. 44 Blues
7. 11th Street Overcrossing
8. Corrina Corrina
9. Tulsa County
10. Walking Down The Line
11. Girl With Green Eyes
12. Sunny's Dream
13. Spanish Lace Blues
14. Devil's Got My Woman
15. Take A Giant Step
16. Flyin' So High
17. Dust My Broom
18. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
19. Baby What You Want Me To Do
20. I Got A Little

An interesting proposition if ever there was one. The Rising Sons were formed in 1964, in Los Angeles, California. Containing Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder in it's line-up, The Rising Sons are certainly a band worth mentioning when the accolades for the greatest ever sixties Blues line-up are to be handed out.

But what they brought to music I think certainly does need a spot light of sorts, bringing a unique modern rural twist to the roots of the Delta. But not just that, they were also renowned for their live performances, and were the trail blazers for what was to follow with American music.

The Rising Sons were signed to Columbia Records, and only ever released one single; the brilliant Candy Man/The Devil's Got My Woman. They also recorded a serious amount of material in the studio (overseen by producer Terry Melcher of Byrds fame) and jam sessions, but any chance of an album was lost in 1966, when the band disbanded.

Obviously, the members of this band went on to forge very successful careers for themselves, but in 1992 Columbia got round to releasing this lost work which sat in their vaults for 25 years. It can be found in all its glory here, on The Rising Sons Featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.

Contained within are tracks written by performers from a bygone era, legends such as Blind Willie McTell, Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton. But with two of the greatest guitarists in history jamming these songs, one should not feel disappointed by the lack of original material on show. Glorious versions of Statesboro Blues, Dust My Broom and even a cover of an obscure Dylan number entitled Walkin' Down The Line to name but a few gems are to be had on this release.

In many ways The Rising Sons were doing what The Yardbirds and John Mayall were doing in Britain at the time. Taking the Blues and reinventing it for a modern audience. Such acts also laid down the road ahead for bands such as Cream and The Buffalo Springfield.

It is therefore highly recommended that you have a look at the delights to be found on this album.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote