Music Banter - View Single Post - R. Stevie Moore
Thread: R. Stevie Moore
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Bump. Here's the album you want to get started with, home recording 101. Oh and if you need that sort of justification, Phonography was listed among 'the fifty most significant indie records' in Rolling Stone’s Alt-Rock-A-Rama.

edit for fans ov: Swell Maps, Guided By Voices, not being an idiot, the Monochrome Set, pop music, Daniel Johnston, the Feelies, This Heat, Tall Dwarfs and various lo-fi obscuria

Here's Mr. Moore answering a question from this interview. A creative being tailor-made for Molecules idol worship.

DS: What kind of music do you listen to these days?

RSM: There's that question again. As has been the case for my entire life, it's everything all the time. Back to back. Freeform radio in my head. I thought most intelligent beings' tastes were also like this, but I guess I'm wrong. I've never locked into any set band or format or genre. Every day is different. Heck, every quarter-day. I have thousands of LPs and 45s, so that tells you something right there. A to Z. All eras, all extremes, in small doses. It's really no big deal. Lately? Mahler. Of Montreal. Bowie's Berlin trilogy. Speedeath metal. Tea for the Tillerman. Bethlehem & Contemporary labels '50s west coast jazz. 1/2 japanese. James Brown ad infinitum. Sing along w/Mitch Miller. Crispy Ambulance and all things Factory/Hannett. Hookfoot. Jack Nitzsche's St. Giles Cripplegate. Porter Wagoner. Shins. Lord Buckley. Moody Blues. The Fall. Piaf. Beatlegs. Tom & Jerry kiddie records. PiL. Ventures vs Shadows. Sparks and Roxy. Flatt 'n Scruggs.
How can any serious music lover not aim for variety like this??? That's why this entire last decade has reeked of el stinko to me, pure tunnel-vision mindset mindlessness, anything but genuine embrace for the history of authentic real music; target marketing for the mindless youth again... Destiny's Child? Who? Justin? Lil Bow Wow? Fall Out Boy??? Ha! Man, I don't even wanna know about these modern "acts" anymore. Such disposable ice cream flavors of the week. Who's buying it?
I'm also embarrassed by my inner turmoil about all of this. I really need to get over it and remove all concern about mainstream pop.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 03-06-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote