Music Banter - View Single Post - West African music
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
johne
Music Addict

Ghana (Highlife): Though other West African countries produced Highlife music, Ghana invented and perfected it. Highlife is not necessarily my favorite WA music to listen to. But, then again, listening to it is not the desired end. It is meant to be danced to, and if Highlife musicians can't get people on their feet, then they have failed in their own estimation.

Highlife was likely first developed by bandleader, E.T. Mensah, in the mid-20th century. Though he is not alive, a myspace page is still dedicated to Mensah, and there you can hear an example of "old-school" Highlife, which is very danceable, jazz-influenced, and "big-band" sounding:
E T Mensah on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

An exciting form of Highlife was developed by a band started in the late 60's called Osibisa. While still identifiably Highlife, you can hear the pop and rock fusion--nice listen:
YouTube - Osibisa- Gong Gong Song

In the early 80's, George Darko integrated a llittle German beat, a little disco, and a little funk into his music. His brand is called "Burger Highlife"--also good listens:
YouTube - odo colour-george darko
YouTube - prempremsiwa-george darko

C.K. Mann was more influenced by Latin beat in his Highlife. This isn't great quality video, but it conveys the idea of Latin-fused Highlife:
YouTube - mansa wo mu mann CK Man1

A last Ghanian Highlife artist I would like to have highlighted is probably the best guitarist of any of them, Ebo Taylor. But, I couldn't find a decent-quality track or video that showcased his Highlife style. I did find, however, a nice video of him paying tribute to Ali Farka Toure. So, this is not an example of Highlife, but a Highlife guartarist playing the more Mande-"blues-y" music of Toure:
YouTube - Guitar Virtuoso Ebo Taylor plays tribute to Ali Farka Toure

Next post: Djembe drumming

Last edited by johne; 03-19-2009 at 11:43 PM.
johne is offline   Reply With Quote