Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #112 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Yeah no one said anything post Black was bad.

And for the record, Garage Days and S&M were pretty great.

A Load v. Reload thread would be worth the time. What do you think makes Load better, Mojo?
S&M Was outstanding I think. Its one of those records though, it rubbed a lot of Metallica and/or metal fans up the wrong way I think but I think it was a fantastic achievement. Some of those tracks sound as though the orchestra was always there and it breathes some life into a few of the Load/Reload tracks that are on it.

As for the Load vs Reload argument. I can honestly say I have never quite been able to make an opinion stick. It's like I'm hearing different albums every time I give them another go. Sometimes I think they are dreadfully under-rated and that some people just need to let go of what Metallica were and give them a chance and sometimes I think the indifference that a lot of people have for them is completely justified.

I think they are both decent enough records but no more than that. A little mediocre and probably average at best. Load for me just shines a tiny little bit brighter. They continued, as you said, the transition from the Black Album and at times I just feel that by the time you've absorbed Load and moved onto Reload that maybe they moved on too far too fast? Its arguable, and as I say I'll probably change my opinion again the next time I listen to them.

It just seemed as though theres a handfull of tracks that, although different, were instantly recognisable as Metallica tracks and would fit into their live sets very well and the majority (not all, the majority) of tracks that best showed the new direction they were going in were on Reload and left it sounding like it was mostly filler and leftovers from the first record.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote