Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #89 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

I'm hella bored and trying to find an excuse not to do any work, so here's the next lot;

46. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (1996)

A lot of you probably saw this one coming. Almost entirely comprised of samples from rare, nearly-forgotten vinyl, DJ Shadow uses hip-hop rhythms as the foundation for a piece of work which arguably transcends genre and creates a deep and almost hypnotic world of sonic textures and soundscapes. A real work of art, and one with an influence on electronica and pop which can still be felt today.
The best bits: The Number Song, What Does Your Soul Look Like Pt. 4, Midnight In a Perfect World

45. Joy Division - Closer (1980)

Another band you simply can't ignore when it comes to nice, drawn out lists like this. Where Unknown Pleasures presented Joy Division as a carefully focussed recording unit, Closer sees them branching out as they grow artistically. A lot of you reading this probably know all this already, but hell, I'll say it again. Forget what happened just after recording was wrapped up, and treat this as 'the second album - a masterclass of atmosphere, songwriting and production, and to me Joy Division's opus. In Twenty-Four Hours, the Eternal and Decades it boasts one of the best ending sequences of songs ever.
The best bits: Isolation, Twenty-Four Hours, Decades

44. Super Furry Animals - Guerilla (1999)

Wow. Just wow. Alright, maybe this album deserves a bit more than that. Super Furry Animals are at their best when you just can't put your finger on what sort of sound they're peddling and, although their discography is littered with little gems, this for me is the album which functions the best as a unit in spite of its eclectic nature. Tropicalia as on Northern Lites, mutated punk rockers like Night Vision and techno like Wherever I Lay My Phone sit comfortably alongside pop songs like the Turning Tide (which even then do their best to f*ck about with generic conventions). It's a glorious freak of an album.
The best bits: Do Or Die, Northern Lites, Wherever I Lay My Phone (That's My Home)

43. Talking Heads - Remain In Light (1980)

The direction that the Talking Heads had been undertaking with Brian Eno sat in the producer's chair came to fruition here, with the wild eclecticism of the preceding Fear Of Music being reined-in somewhat. The result is an album that's quirky and fun as well as atmospheric and pensive at the same time. It's a classic album of two halves, side one being populated by funky grooves and catchy melodies, side two being dominated by the expansive nature of Eno's production and Byrne's writing, all the while being underpinned by the African rhythms the Heads had started to explore on Fear Of Music. Oh, and Once In a Lifetime was probably their best single too.
The best bits: Crosseyed and Painless, Seen and Not Seen, the Overload
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote