Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #97 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

39. Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy (2000)

More nocturnal trip-hop here, this time mixing atmospheric elements of Brazilian, Jamaican, French and Indian musical forms into their own breezy, chilled electronic soundscapes. Where it's not delivering elegant and easygoing grooves alone, it features the wonderful vocal contributions of Pam Bricker, Lou Lou, Ella Fitzgerald and the mighty Bebel Gilberto. Although these guys have made great records before and since (their latest effort, Radio Retaliation, is well worth a go if this is your thing), this album probably had the most immediate impact on me. Seeing as it got me started on trip-hop and a lot of contemporary electronica, it's also a very important album to my current musical taste as well.
The best bits: Focus On Sight, Shadows Of Ourselves, The Mirror Conspiracy
This was the first Thievery Corporation I bought too although I prefer The Richest Man in Babylon as my favourite TC album. I have to say that I was very dissapointed with Radio Retaliation. Have you heard TC DJ Kicks mix? It's what got me into them in the first place and stops off at every continent in the world- it is one of my very favourite mix albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
And while I'm still hanging around...

38. Massive Attack - Blue Lines (1991)

To put the lid on all the trip-hop on this list is the one which started the whole thing (even if the term didn't actually come into use 'til a few years later). Here lies the first album to filter American hip-hop through the British clubbing subculture. Add a dash of dub here and there, shake it up and you've got the musical cocktail that is Blue Lines. I could easily have included the equally brilliant Mezzanine here (and, indeed, was going to 'til about ten minutes ago), but in terms of the sweeping influence it had on dance and pop music, as well as the Unfinished Sympathy factor, this is the album I'd stick in a top albums list such as this.
The best bits: Be Thankful For What You've Got, Unfinished Sypathy, Daydreaming

35. Transglobal Underground - Impossible Broadcasting (2004)

I got three of these guys' albums at once and of all of them, needless to say, this is the one made the most immediate impact. Another one the more overlooked groups out there, Transglobal Underground deliver a breathtaking mish-mash of Indian atmospherics, dub rhythms, ragga vocals, rock guitar riffs and some killer, danceable rhythms (sometimes all in the same tune), which is fully realised with this, their artistic peak (to me).
The best bits: Drinking In Gomorrah, Isis K, Take the Tram
I think Mezzanine is far superior by Massive Attack. Blue Lines is a great album but it's dated badly i think.

Glad you liked the Transglobal Underground albums I agree that Impossible Broadcasting is probably their best.

Some great choices as ever.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote