Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Coolest Fother Muckers to Ever Live
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

there is a degree of worship in many of the schools though.. well not worship maybe but certainly a reverence of enlightened figures, the eldest prophets (look at the Dalai Lama). The morality tales and fables in the the Sutras (i can't remember which one specifically) also have echoes of Bible about them (that should be the other way round btw)

I saw a sci-fi film recently, it was a about a Cro-Magnon man who was immortal, had lived to the present day and was relating his story. It transpires he had studied under Gautama Buddha and of course had to migrate west again once people clocked that he wasn't aging. He teaches along the way and it all gets misinterpreted by the pilgrims, he was Jesus, spreading goodwill toward men. A couple of the miracles happened but these exaggerated and were the result of this guy's accumulated medical expertise.

Our caveman explains that he never rose from the dead either, he had merely used a technique Buddha taught him to slow his heart rate and vitals, so he woke up and left his tomb. Just thought that was pretty neat, and I guess it helps to draw a line through these faiths, these codes of morals that people adopt to make sense of the world. I would definitely classify Buddhism as a religion, in the sense that it's all about people's fear of the afterlife and turmoil on earth.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote