Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #767 (permalink)
garbanzo
Recommended by 4 out of 5

ten covers that make garbanzo smile

i've never been good at throwing songs into a mix that flows nicely from start to finish. so instead, i've put together a collection of my ten favourite cover songs. hopefully most of you have never heard these before. enjoy!

Axiom Funk - If 6 Was 9 (Hendrix)
Bootsy Collins and Buckethead throw down on this classic Hendrix tune. it's very out of character for Bootsy - still funky, but slow and sinuous. i like it better than the original, and it's my favourite of all the tracks here.

Eliza Lumley - Black Star (Radiohead)
apparently she has a whole album of Radiohead covers, but i only know this one. jazzy piano, light percussion, lazy bass and a smattering of horns make this rendition delightful, but it's Lumley's syrupy lounge voice that really shines.

Gary Jules - Mad World (Tears For Fears)
just simple piano and Jules' slow, gray voice. it's a very melancholy rendition of this tune. the vocals are incredibly expressive. not one for regular listening, but excellent nonetheless.

Horace Andy - Horse With No Name (America)
covers are always more fun when they cross genre boundaries. i don't normally enjoy reggae, but i just can't get enough of this one. you may know Horace Andy from his work with Massive Attack. he has dozens of albums out; this (Mek It Burn) is the only one i've heard.

Morcheeba - Summertime (Gershwin)
i once found a website offering more than one thousand different covers of this tune. i'm partial to Morcheeba - love the trip-hop sounds and i can't get enough of Skye's voice, so this ends up being my favourite.

Rasputina - Fire & Ice (Pat Benatar)
this track is so much fun! any Rasputina fans will be thrown by the fact that Melora actually sings like a normal person in this, but that makes it all that much more special. it's very much in the spirit of the original.

Rasputina - Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
if you know Rasputina, you can already imagine how incredible this is. if you don't know them, just listen. they definitely do justice to this fantastic song.

The Beautiful South - Don't Fear The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult)
this is classic Beautiful South. Heaton does his usual magic with the lead vocals, and Wheeler provides wonderful backup on the chorus. not much more to say.

The Beautiful South - Rebel Prince (Rufus Wainwright)
Heaton's unforgetable voice really brings this track to life. that man can sing! unfortunately Wheeler kind of mucks things up with her shoddy french accent later in the track, but it's still good fun.

Tricky - Dear God (XTC)
gone is the poppy sound of the original, replaced by typical Tricky flavours. Francavilla excels as usual, bringing her delicious accent to the table. her vocal track is underlain by a bed of Tricky's usual gravely vocals.

fetch!

Last edited by garbanzo; 03-10-2009 at 04:22 AM.
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote