Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #107 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

34. Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

Speaking of Tom Waits, here's another bunch whose discography I haven't yet had a good dig around in. Of the three Floyd albums I have, Piper At the Gates Of Dawn is terrific, Dark Side Of the Moon is very good (though not quite as spectacular as some people make out), and then there's this. While to me it's not exactly Roger Waters labelling the human race as dogs, pigs or sheep, but he creates a grim album of progressive rock which befits that kind of thinking. Therein lies one of the key successes of this album - the mood. To these ears it's not jam-packed with infectious hooks and melodies, but it's the dark mood of the album as a unit which elevates it to greatness. While in a sense it's an album of extended jams, it's all held down so majestically by Waters' black-spirited lyrics and desperate vocal delivery, the blues-rock flavours of David Gilmour's guitar (resulting in some of the finest guitar work I've ever heard) and the added space-rock colours of Richard Wright's keyboards. I haven't had this so long (only a couple of months), which is why it isn't any higher, but no doubt it's a masterpiece, and one that'll grow even more on me.
The best bits: Just listen to the whole damn album.

33. Gorrilaz - Demon Days (2005)

And behind curtain number 33, another pretty obvious choice. Although Dan the Automator had left Damon Albarn as the unquestioned leader of the world's favourite virtual pop group here, what could so easily have turned out like the soulless dirge that was Blur's Think Tank (after Graham Coxon decided to pack it in) turns out to be as unified and purposeful an album Albarn had involved himself in since since Blur's (underrated) the Great Escape. It's easy to say that what we end up with is the dark and gloomy synth-driven album that Think Tank should've been - even the more seemingly upbeat singles have a sense of post-9/11 menace about them. I'd go on, but it's safe to assume you've already heard all this about Gorrilaz before, so I'll wrap up with a quick 'one of the best albums of the decade' sentence like this one.
The best bits: O Green World, Feel Good Inc., Dare

32. 10ft Ganja Plant - Midnight Landing (2003)

Over the last 70-odd entries I've probably missed out on a ton of some classic modern reggae (can already think of a few examples), but here we are anyway. Although this, the mysterious 10ft Ganja Plant's third effort, boasts some very effective dubwise instrumentals and production techniques, the main strength of this album is in its songs, with the singer (whoever he might be) hitting some interesting notes which sound like a cross between Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. The bass on this LP conjures some of the finest grooves you'll hear on any reggae album too, in an effort which is a strong allusion to 70s roots.
The best bits: Ganja Plane Rider, Let the Music Hit, Midnight Landing

31. The Clash - London Calling (1979)

Call me lazy, but need I say anymore?

Mixtape VII right here;

40-31.rar
1. Tom Waits- Get Behind the Mule
2. 10ft Ganja Plant - Midnight Landing
3. Faith No More - Cuckoo For a Caca
4. Gorrilaz - Feel Good Inc.
5. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
6. The Damned - Noise Noise Noise
7. Transglobal Underground - Take the Tram
8. The Clash - Death Or Glory
9. Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspriacy
10. Pink Floyd - Pigs On the Wing Pt. 1

And after this we move on the upper echelon of musical greatness according to yours truly. Despite what I said at the start of the thread, 30-11 won't be in preferential order (try as I may, I just couldn't do it).

Anyway, I'll get started on that lot in a couple of days.

Last edited by Bulldog; 03-10-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote