Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk is ***
Thread: Punk is ***
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #154 (permalink)
kniff0311
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Stengel View Post
It is alot like rock n roll, but there were PLENTY of punk bands that were really good at their insruments:

Television (thats the big one)
The Only Ones
Talking Heads
Magazine
Pere Ubu
The Voidoids
etc..

Alot of these are also considered 'post-punk' but they all made worthwhile records between '75-'78, before 'post-punk' was really considered a genre.

And theres SO MUCH relateability and emotion in punk rock. "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones, "Time" by Richard Hell, "Ever Fallen in Love" by the Buzz ****s, "You Cant Put Your Arms Around a Memory" by Johnny Thunders, "I'm Straight" by The Modern Lovers, I relate to punk more than any other genre! Im not a rebel by any stretch either.

I agree with what your saying sort of, if youre referring to the whole sex pistols rip off side of it, where it was about bashing out chords and screaming about how your parents made you clean your room, but theres so much great stuff that goes far beyond that. Lets not forget, although technically Elvis Costello was 'pub-rock', he fit right into the punk scene at the time.
I agree but sometimes i feel like punk just fits certain aspects of life so for me the genre is not overrated it's just not always going to be apart of some playlists
kniff0311 is offline   Reply With Quote