Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for electric guitar advice
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
pourmeanother
Saaaad Panda

Default Looking for electric guitar advice

I'm looking to upgrade my guitar, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm new to this game, so when somebody starts throwing out different pickup names and the like- I get lost.

I currently have a Jackson electric, which was purchased 6 years ago solely because it was 50% off and I was told it was a nice entry guitar for beginners. I've played sporadically over that time, never really giving my ax the attention it deserved. I'd classify myself as entering into the world of intermediate guitar.

Anyway, I'm ready to spend some more time at this, and I'm ready for an upgrade. What do I like to play? I mostly enjoy classic rock, and modern blues rock - see: The Black Keys. What kinds of guitars suit these styles? What primary difference in sound am I going to hear from a hollow-body vs. solid?

My price range is under $1000. The cheaper the better, but I won't sacrifice quality just for the sake of cost.

I've been recommended:

-Gibson Dot (for bluesy stuff - $665 listed)
-Les Paul Standard ($832 listed)

I've also looked at these guys online: Gibson G-400, Ibanez AR300, Gibson ES-175, Fender Telecaster.... but, like I said, I don't know the difference and how each would apply to my style.

So, to cut this short.... please let me know your thoughts on any of the above guitars, and also any others you might recommend based off what I've said above. I'd really appreciate the insight and guidance. I'll use the information to go to a local guitar shop, pick up some models, and give them a try-- but I need a jumping off point. Thanks!
And waiting for blah
And hoping you were right about the blahs you made
And then, just when you think you've got the whole blah'd damn thing figured out
And you're surrounded by the ones you blah
Death shows up... anddd blah, blah, blah.
pourmeanother is offline   Reply With Quote