Music Banter - View Single Post - 200 greatest guitarists in rock
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #360 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Thats Tiago Della Vega. TBH I don't agree with the record, since its obvious from the videos that Rusty is much faster, but hasn't had it officially adjudicated.

And Janzsoon, the Piece is Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky Korsakov. Nothing to do with his own musical merits, so be careful on judging the musicality of it.

As for the guy who listed Yngwie on the previous page, it would have helped if you'd listed a SONG instead of an improvised live guitar solo. Its obviously not going to be as musical as a fully written piece of music since theres less freedom for chords changes and rythmic variation.

I'm not saying he's your cup of tea based on that, but I am saying people should try and choose their examples to be representative of the artist, instead of picking and choosing outlying examples to try and strengthen their points artificially. Theres a video of Shawn Lane on youtube at 16 years old, playing nothing but random crap as fast as he possibly can. Its a stark contrast to almost ALL of his later recorded works, and thus using it as an example to say he's unmusical isn't justified. Your Yngwie example is only more of the same, although admittedly less extreme. He's written some perfectly viable music, such as the examples below.

This, for example, is Black Star, An Yngwie Malmsteen song. He worked with Tokyo Philharmonic and released a live album with both him and the orchestra playing some of his most acclaimed works. I defy you to tell me this isn't musical.

And this is taken verbatim from the CD.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Maybeshewill - Not for Want of Trying
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Maybeshewill - Not for Want of Trying
via FoxyTunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote