Music Banter - View Single Post - 200 greatest guitarists in rock
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #367 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
Instrumentalists play instruments. Instruments make music. Malmsteen and that other fat dude are just kids who got picked on cause they couldn't play sports as a kid so they had to show everyone up by being the fastest at something.
I disagree. Virtuosity is not a crime. Its an essential part of quite a large amount of music, particularly in the classical and calssically influenced genres, where works by composers and artists such as Rachmaninoff, Lizst, and Paganini are held among the highest regard.

The large backlash against virtuosic stylings didn't come about because of malmsteen and his more popular contemporaries, but because of those imitators of those artists who mistook the techicality as the substance of their works. Musicians such as paganini and lizst didn't get their status purely on technicality, but if they were releasing music today they'd be shouted down because the DIY ethic of rock seems to be taking offense to the idea of technical skill as a worthwhile tool for expression.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Gojira - To Sirius
via FoxyTunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote