Music Banter - View Single Post - Vinyl making a HUGE comeback:
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Well, having sifted through the half a dozen or so threads dedicated to this topic, I still don't understand what the deal is with this format, especially with its recent resurgence. Apparently the sound isn't better (than CDs or high quality mp3s), it's far less convenient to listen to, much more delicate and prone to corruption and as far as I can tell, more expensive...I get that it holds a lot of nostalgic value for older folk but what's up with the young peeps drooling over it lately? I didn't really grow up in an environment that payed much attention to music but my sister did have some vinyl records and I can't say they hold any particular nostalgic value for me. I was a child of tapes but I can't see myself going back to that any time soon...:\

So, all things considered, it all reeks of an annoying indier-than-thou fad...*shrugs*
The sound IS better, but its a case of you WILL need audiophile equipment to discern the difference between the two. Heavy Guage vinyl recordings als have much better sound than light guage. Unfortunately the degradation of the medium is a price we have to pay.

All things told, is SACD or DVD-A had taken off, then Vinyl would be truly dead, because those formats offered vastly improved sound quality and also eliminated the handling issues.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Shawn Lane - Gray Pianos Flying
via FoxyTunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote