Music Banter - View Single Post - Vinyl making a HUGE comeback:
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
joyboyo53
down the rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Well, having sifted through the half a dozen or so threads dedicated to this topic, I still don't understand what the deal is with this format, especially with its recent resurgence. Apparently the sound isn't better (than CDs or high quality mp3s), it's far less convenient to listen to, much more delicate and prone to corruption and as far as I can tell, more expensive...I get that it holds a lot of nostalgic value for older folk but what's up with the young peeps drooling over it lately? I didn't really grow up in an environment that payed much attention to music but my sister did have some vinyl records and I can't say they hold any particular nostalgic value for me. I was a child of tapes but I can't see myself going back to that any time soon...:\

So, all things considered, it all reeks of an annoying indier-than-thou fad...*shrugs*
i think alot of it has to do with your closing statement. i can say however that listening to vinyl encourages people to listen to an entire album through (which encourages artist to make albums that way) and that is something i prefer. it is also a much more interesting form of collectable, as the art on the album cover is put more into focus. you are right that modern high quality mp3s and cds do have better sound quality, but i would say 1/2 my mp3s are not of that quality. i think people just sometimes like to take a step backwards and recognize the achievements of the past. some things are hard to explain, like why people would pay loads of money to stay in an expensive historical hotel when they could just goto the nearest sheraton where it will have the better ac, food, and beds?
joyboyo53 is offline   Reply With Quote