Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #769 (permalink)
CaseNumber:825
Music Addict

My Present Top Ten Tracks

Considering many of who are confused by the music I listen to. Or intrigued by the sheer number of Asian artists that occupy my top lists on Last.fm I have compiled together a list of my current favourite songs from each of my top artists, just in case any of you want to have a listen at some great Asian music.

01. Koda Kumi (倖田來未) - Selfish (From the album 'secret')
Download Here

A hard-hitting, catchy, rock-based track that just leaves you ready to take on the world. Kumi really gives her all in this track, the sheer powerful emotion you can hear in her voice is outstanding and it's one of those tracks that hasn't managed to get boring, though I've played it so many times

02. Ayumi Hamasaki (浜崎あゆみ) - Rule (From the album 'NEXT LEVEL')
Download Here

Another very hard-hitting track. Not as catchy but just as rock-based. A complicated mix of guitars, percussion and impressives synths that blend perfectly together. Ayumi has never been one to underachieve when it comes to releasing good songs and with this new single, also being used as the new Dragonball Evolution international theme song, she's definately hit the mark again.

03. Ai Otsuka (大塚愛) - プラネタリウム (Planetarium) From the album 'Love Cook'
Download Here

Japan's most adorable solo singer hits a more serious note with this pop/rock track. Strangely haunting in a way that makes to sit and listen throughout the entire song. Her vocals are quite high-pitch in a way that is common within the Japanese pop/rock genre. But don't let the term 'pop/rock' throw you off into thinking she's some kind of Japanese version of Miley Cyrus, no way, for one this young girl writes her own lyrics and music, plus she does sing very well live. This song is one of her most popular songs and it's not hard to see why when you hear it.

04. BoA - BRAVE (From the album 'THE FACE')
Download Here

This Multi-lingual singer is a huge star in both of home-country of Korea and Japan, and she's soon to release her debut English album. I've chosen a Japanese song to show you and it's a somewhat mellow song in comparison to the first two songs on this list. That doesn't make it any less effective. The song is hard to place into a genre, I sure can't do it, though that's hardly rare within Asian music. A great song for any new listener of BoA.

05. A-mei (張惠妹) - Shei Yu Zheng Feng (From the album 'Maybe Tomorrow')
Download Here

Absolutely fantastic song and back into the hard-hitting power that is akin to the first two songs by Kumi and Ayumi. This song is a real mixture of different styles and techniques. The occasional choir pieces really add to the effect and it's just a generally fun, powerful song to listen to. Simply awesome.

06. Jolin Tsai (蔡依林) - Wan Mei (From the album 'Dancing Diva')
Download Here

One of Taiwan's most popular and influential singers, Jolin Tsai is in full force with this song. It's a very upbeat, fun song with some hidden rock-influences. Jolin's vocals are never bad to listen to and the occasional English that's thrown in here and there is fun to hear. I thought this little mix-tape could use some more upbeat songs, plus this is the song that really got me hooked on Jolin.

07. Utada Hikaru (宇多田ヒカル) - This is Love (From the album 'ULTRA BLUE')
Download Here

Another Bi-lingual singer, Utada is consistently compared to Ayumi, though they both sounds completely different to each other. Utada releases music both in English and Japanese and is going to be releasing her second English album soon. This song is primarily an upbeat pop track, but unlike Western pop music, Asian pop music is do much more complicated. It's blend of styles, techniques, beats and rhythms makes this type of pop a genre that is never boring to listen to. A very optimistic track indeed.

08. Lee Hyori (이효리) - E.M.M.M (From the album 'Dark Angel')
Download Here

This queen of the Korean music scene takes a turn from her usual RnB/Pop style to bring us an absolutely awesome rock/electronic-based track, showing everyone that it she's not just a one-trick pony. This song is catchy, upbeat and sexy and never ever boring.
Plus, the title stand for Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Moe..... which just amuses me.

09. OLIVIA - できない (Dekinai; I Can't) (From the album 'synchronicity'
Download Here

OLIVIA is another bi-lingual singer/songwriter, but unlike Utada and BoA she is also mixed-race. She adds English into almost all of her songs, and has released fully English albums before. This song in particular, which is one of her older songs, has a driving pop/rock sound and it's strangely catchy in an unconventional type of way. Her music is primarily rock-based, but, like most Asian artists, she also holds the ability to make music of many different genres, and this track is no exception to that.

10. Koda Kumi (倖田來未) x misono - It's all Love! (From the single 'It's all Love!')
Download Here

I've decided to leave you all with another Koda Kumi track, but this time she'd paired up with her sister. It's another driving rock-based track, definately fun to listen to and as always the little English additions to the track are undeniably adorable. It's the first time Kumi and younger sister misono have teamed up and if this is the result I certainly they team up again in the future.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination" - Elim Garak
CaseNumber:825 is offline   Reply With Quote