Music Banter - View Single Post - Which country (within the Anglosphere) makes the best music?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #137 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

In terms of laying the foundations for so many new genres and styles of music to the world and in terms of the amount of bands being produced (both good and band), the US is at the top. Other countries as well as the US have done so much to push these genres to new heights however. Even if you don't really like some of the big genres that came from America (Blues and Jazz for example), its still a fact that many of your bands wouldn't be here if it weren't for those genres. I agree with Loose Lips that no specific country really does a specific genre better then another though, although there may be more bands in America for a specific genre then in another country, that doesn't mean that country is better at it.

What I've seen so far is so many post based soley on preference instead of fact. Theres nothing wrong with saying "I like more bands from *insert country here*." But when it starts coming to something like "I like more bands from *insert country here* which means they produce the best music," thats when the whole arguement goes to ****.

In terms of personal taste, most of my favorite bands tend to be American, but I also love bands from other countries. Mr. Bungle (and the various solo projects produced by its members), John Zorn, The Locust, Lightning Bolt, captain Beefheart, Sleepytime Gorilla Musuem, Hella and many others are from America. The bands I listen to from other countries is much more limited, but is expanding.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote