Music Banter - View Single Post - British Cuisine
Thread: British Cuisine
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

We get black pudding in Norway as well, although we call it blood sausage. For all purposes, it's exactly the same product. I love it. My girlfriend was a little suspicious at first, but now she likes it too ..

We also have a kind of haggis in Norway. It's mostly mashed lungs and other organs like hearts and brains. It also tastes good if you fry it up and have it with potatoes or you could add some peas and turn it into a pie. We even fried it up with tomato sauce and had it with spaghetti once. Great stuff!

In addition, Norway is famous for it's traditional foods which mostly relate to various ways of concerving fish. Cod in lye is popular, it makes the fish quite soapy and transparent. Gravlaks is also excellent - back in the days, they would take a fish, dig a hole, put it in and then dig it up for consumption sometimes later. In these modern times, you can just leave your fish somewhere safe like a refrigerator until it gets a little fermented. Rakfisk is another dish where you let the fish ferment in a barrel ..

The most vile stuff I've had so far was icelandic rotten greenland shark. Sharks don't pee - instead they secrete urea through their muscle tissues. In other word, most of the greenland shark is really toxic so you have to let it ferment a few months before you can eat it. Eating it was still like having the stinkiest mantoilet in your mouth. It's like you couldn't breathe because of the intense ammonia-smell.

They wash it down with vodka and that part I liked quite a bit.