Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #66 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Rokes - Let's Live For Today: The Rokes in English 1966-68
(2008)

Tracks

1 Let's Live for Today 3:00
2 No No No 2:43
3 Telegram for Miss Marigold 3:33
4 Ride On 2:33
5 Put the Pen Down 2:17
6 The Works of Bartholomew 3:28
7 Regency Sue 2:28
8 I Would Give the World 3:13
9 When the Wind Arises 3:22
10 Hold My Hand 2:44
11 A Thing Like That 2:44
12 Ripe Apples 3:25
13 Stop and Watch the Children Play 2:57
14 When You Are Gone 2:46
15 Somewhere 2:26
16 Passing Thru Grey 3:07

The Rokes were an English band formed in 1962, who in 1963 moved to Italy to seek fame and fortune, something that they did indeed achieve. They released four albums in all in Italy, had a number of major hit singles, were live favourites throughout the country and made numerous TV appearances. This success though was not replicated in their native homeland, where to this day they still remain something of a mystery.

Between 66 and 68, The Rokes had a few attempts at trying to crack Britain by releasing singles in English as opposed to Italian, efforts which seamlessly bridged the gap between Freakbeat and Psychedelia to glorious effect. All these attempts, as well as other English speaking recordings they did for fun, can now be found on this compilation, Lets Live for Today – The Rokes in English 1966-68, released on Rev-Ola Records in 2008.

The album begins with the title track, a song which was The Rokes’ first major assault on the UK market; it would actually go on to be a big hit in America for The Grass Roots. But following a farcical chain of events with UK publishers, other than royalties it sadly did not do a lot for The Rokes themselves.

However the fact remains that this song was a big hit for another band proving that this is far from being another obscure tune. Needless to say The Rokes’ version is a marvellously trippy song with a very apparent rawness, which makes this song very appealing indeed. I am dying to find out how the original Italian recording from 1965 sounded, I will of course let you know.

Track 2 is also something very special, it is truly one of the best examples of Freakbeat you could possibly ever want to hear; No No No is just sheer brilliance, hard edged and relentless. This song is by no means alone on this album for quality.

The next thrilling moment on this album can be found on Track Six; The Works of Bartholomew. At the time of writing I am pleased to report that this song is currently stuck on repeat. Released in 1968 this was the final attempt by The Rokes to crack the UK. Why this song did not do it for The Rokes I cannot for the life of me answer.

My confusion is further intensified when discovering that this final single was released with a flip side as remarkable as Track 9; the eerily Psychedelic When the Wind Arises. The Rokes with these two songs in particular, show an unbelievable talent for production and endeavour, which strangely the UK public shockingly never took to.

This album covers the efforts of a fine yet under appreciated British group, and their English speaking output. A brilliant listen and a must for all fans of anything remotely interesting about the 1960’s. The Rokes would break up in 1970, after a career much more prosperous than your typical obscure sixties act.

If you mention The Rokes in Italy today; they are still fondly remembered and even now still receive airplay on Italian radio. With this compilation, maybe this great English band can finally make its mark on the country of its birth, in one corner of Britain anyway, it already has.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote