Music Banter - View Single Post - Mr. Bungle? Meshuggah? Avant-Garde Metal!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i guess i'll be the first to say something about bungle besides OMG! BUNGLE!!!

mr. bungle is great and all but i really don't get how so many people classify them as any kind of metal. i suppose if you only listened to their demos and first album and skipped most of the 2nd you could but by the time the band was done they were very much their own style. the band proved this without any shadow of a doubt on 'california'.

i find that the bulk of bands who name drop bungle generally 'try' rehashing the apparent chaos of 'disco volante' without ever seeming to be capable of writing a complete song in just one style. that's what really set bungle apart for me, they were capable of pulling from all sorts of styles at the drop of a hat, AND they were also able to stick to one style for the duration of a whole song. a track like 'sweet charity' doesn't need a big metal breakdown in the middle for example.

i've yet to hear a bungle baby take that step, all i hear is a bunch of bits and pieces of stuff thrown together without any evidence there was anything else to the selections. conversely, most of the time those musical mosaics come across as glued together, there's no underlying sensation of the chaos just happening. it's calculated and at that point, no longer chaotic. i get the impression that more often than not the multitude of styles in most of the followers becomes more of a musical masturbatory measuring stick than anything necessary to propagate the musical piece.
A well-written and thoughtful post. I confess I don't have much patience for Mr. Bungle because by the time that I listened to Disco Volante I already had the misfortune of running across California, which I absolutely hate through and through; it forcibly reminded me of the latter years of FNM and everything that they turned into.

There ARE others like Mr. Bungle though. A clone through most of their work Dog Fashion Disco always caught the inevitable comparison to Mr. Bungle. It was only until their last album Adultery that they really put their songwriting shoes on, but I will swear by it until the day they cart me off to the nursing home that it is an awesome fucking record. Of course Todd Smith went off and started some new shit two man project but I will always have this to comfort me when things feel a little too normal.

Here's a review I wrote a little while ago...

http://www.musicbanter.com/album-rev...-adultery.html