Music Banter - View Single Post - Mr. Bungle? Meshuggah? Avant-Garde Metal!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Prophet
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
we're going to have to agree to disagree but where you present valid reasons for your opinions i don't think it's going to be an issue. then again i'm torn between 'angel dust' and 'album of the year' when it comes to FNM.

like janzoon i prefer 'California' over everything else released by bungle. i don't see it as so much of a pop album but their chaos was applied to a different level. with DV the chaos is applied to each song, you never know where they're going or how long they're going for.

on the other hand California's tracks are more refined and cohesive but you never know what the next one is going to be like. when you look at the album as a whole the collection of its songs shows the chaos of the band at work.

i don't mind clones and worshippers but ultimately they sound weak to my ears since they're forever trying to sound like someone else and never actually doing their own thing.
Might I recommend checking out Shaolin Death Squad then, for while their Patton love is evident (especially in the vocals) they are most certainly doing their own thing.

I can understand people having trouble with Mr Bungle, like most of the 'genre' it is an aquired taste for the most part, one that tends to attract the truly eclectic fanbase.