Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #130 (permalink)
HatetheHakapik
Groupie

Ok, this is my first review and my first post on this site. I hope you enjoy! I'm 15 and have been hunting psych vinyl for 1 and a half years now. I don't have years of experience, but I do love the genre and the era. I also realize that The Animals are a bit more mainstream then some of these other ones but, then again, Iron Butterfly's In-A-Godda-Da-Vida was the first platinum record right?

Winds of Change by Eric Burdon and the Animals

I bought this album at an Antique Shop the other day and was NOT expecting the eerie psychedelic opening track to pop out of the grooves of an Animals record. A far cry from House of The Rising Sun, Inside - Looking Out, Don't Let me be Misunderstood etc. , Winds of Change put a tear in my eye.

The first few tracks of the album are echo-filled spoken word tracks with someone (eric?) blowing into the mic for a wind effect. Eric's voice seems distant as if he was singing from the top of a mountain. Great use of a violin in Poem by the sea as well.

Their cover of Paint it Black is in the style I imagine Vanilla Fudge would if they picked up the violin.

The Black Plague is another trippy spoken word song. I really don't have too much to say about this track. I can't imagine he expected commercial success with a song like this, which makes it all the better.

Track 5 answers Jimi Hendrix's question Are You Experienced? Yes.

Side 2 of this album turns less psychedelic and closer to the old animals, although there is no mistaking them for the mid-60's lineup. Personally Man-Woman reminds me too much of "Troglodytes" to enjoy, but it isn't bad.

"It's all Meat" sounds like the garage psych in earlier posts in this thread. Fast paced with a smooth solo and short cut in the song with a string instrument fill. I think this the 3rd or 4th song on the album that mentions Ray Charles too...

I tried to put some links in, but I need 15 posts first, if you want the links, I'll come back later and put 'em up. Or you could pm me. (couldn't put up the album art either)

Enjoy.
HatetheHakapik is offline   Reply With Quote