Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
I don't like the term 'beaten' here, I feel like anything that would qualify as a beating would already be protected under standard child abuse laws.

I don't have any problem with smacking children, I was occasionally smacked as a kid, no harm was done. Its work as a deterrent came mostly from the shame of being smacked, rather than the pain. Which I think is a good way for parents to play it, any real harm to the child isn't acceptable.

Generally I feel that children aren't as emotionally fragile as is often reported.
Yup, the thread is not about violence which is clearly prohibited by child abuse laws. It's more generally about introducing physical punishment as a negative consequence for children when they do unwanted behaviour.

Likely, most of us have experienced this in various degrees and I don't think most of us would consider ourselves harmed by it today. But it's often quite hard to say what life would have been like if such violence had or had not not been a part of it. Thus, when looking at the effects of corporal punishment on society etc., I think it's better to look outside ourselves at studies involving for example thousands of people and statistical trends.

I only remember getting smacked on the hand once, which is trivial, and I'm thankful for that. Aside from that one incident, my parents never tried to force or scare me into obedience.