Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #42 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
So do you have a biological perspective on this Tore? Parent/child discipline in the animal kingdom could provide additional insight.
I think violence against our loved ones is definetly an act of the caveman. Lots of animals do it too. And, as I posted earlier, we learn it from our parents. By smacking your own children, you also greatly increase the chance that they in turn will smack your grandchildren etc. etc. Somewhere down the line, it might have negative consequences greater than it had for you or your children.

By the way, I'm a little surprised at all the posters who still seem to think of physical punishment as the only option when it comes to introducing negative consequences for actions. Think about it - shouldn't there be good alternatives? There are, just turn on the TV one day and have a look. I'm also surprised that noone has made any comments about the overall effect of corporal punishment on society .. I believe I quoted and posted some links to some interesting scientific articles on studies relating to this back on the first page.

So far, 80% of everyone (15 people) who has voted think that corporal punishment is an acceptable way of disciplining children.