Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

like most other older members here i was physically disciplined as a child. it was NOT abuse. i was physically abused once, there is a clear difference between discipline and abuse.

it's been said earlier in the thread, it seems people who want to see physical discipline eliminated aren't advocating any sort of valid solution; only to replace the physical aspect with emotional. it's like celebrating someone becoming an alcoholic instead of a junkie, is one really better than the other?

a small child understands pain, it's a black and white thing. it either hurts or it doesn't. if you do something bad it will hurt therefore don't do it again. eventually the reasoning becomes self evident.

i don't think emotional discipline really works as well since it's really hard to know where the line between discipline and abuse is. a smack on the backside vs. a fist in the face is pretty effing clear no? on the other hand having a parent screaming 'stop being an idiot' is only going to reinforce the child's belief that they're stupid. ever see the look on a 3 year olds face when some 'educated' parent is berating them with university level vocabulary? worthless.

it's not that one is better than the other but that they need to be recognized as parenting tools made to work together. might not hurt to offer more parenting classes considering the state of modern families too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote