Music Banter - View Single Post - Progressive Breaks
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridical Fiction View Post
Nah, Satch... I hear what you're saying.
It definitely did evolve from a sample (Although it's from the Amen sample), and I guess along the way, with electronic music going the way it goes, strayed a bit far from its roots.
But that's the progression of music in general.
I'm sure there's breaks acts out there that keep the history alive, but because of the general platform breaks are released to, regarding DJ material and all, it requires a constant updating to remain relevent.
I do like most breaks as listening music, and I appreciate the evolution, but to zero in on the begining of breaks, that's a bit hard because it was so swift.
I mean, early hiphop artists were using the Funky Drummer and the Amen sample way before breaks fell into the niche they reside in today.
I think the biggest appreciation for breaks happens along the timeline in which breakbeats live. You find yourself digging it the most at one point in time, and that's what sticks with you.

I don't mind music being like that. I know that I have my whole life to find what I like, and when I identify with those specific points in time where the music, to me, is perfect, then that's what I take with me.
Oh, I totally dig new breaks. I'm not genre snobbin' at all. Problem is I can click a link and find new breaks, but I can't find this elusive nameless style of music I'm looking for. It's like having an itch you can'y scratch.
I mispoke. The TERM "breakbeats" evolved from meaning James Brown's "funky Drummer" to The Winston's "Amen Brother" they are both by definition breakbeats but stylistically very different from each other and mutually exclusive in their respective origins and genre's where they're commonly used.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote