Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #48 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schredds View Post
I think the lack of punishment from parents unto their children in this day an age has created children and young adults that have no morals and no ****ing respect for anything or anyone, kids nowadays are running wild and doing anything they want because they know there isnt going to be any reprocussions. I think parents should spank their kids if they are getting out of line and instill a lil bit of healthy fear in them, just to remind them that life isnt a free ride and that you cant get away with anything and that they need to learn a little bit of respect.
Ah, that explains why I have no morale, no respect and don't understand consequences for my actions. I should've been slapped more as a kid. Thanks for making sense of it for me.

Seriously, rarely have I ever felt so ignored in a thread. Is anyone reading posts here? Noone has responded to a single point I've made in this thread so far.

For example, I posted a thread on scientific studies describing the effect of corporal punishment on society. One of them suggests that corporal punishment can lead to and raises probability of other kinds of violence later in life, such as marital violence against spouses. You can learn violent behaviour from your parents and then learn that it's a way to force control on people. They pass on the tool.

If you want a society with minimal violence, not just against children, then eliminating the physical punishment practice will most likely have a beneficial effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
I found a very interesting article describing the consequences of the ban in Sweden.

Quote:
Evaluating the success of sweden’s corporal punishment ban

Abstract

Objective: In 1979, Sweden became the first nation to explicitly prohibit all forms of corporal punishment of children by all caretakers in an effort to: (1) alter public attitudes toward this practice; (2) increase early identification of children at risk for abuse; and (3) promote earlier and more supportive intervention to families. The aim of this study was to examine trends over recent decades in these areas to assess the degree to which these goals have been met.

Method: Primary data were collected from official Swedish sources for the following variables: public support for corporal punishment, reporting of child physical assault, child abuse mortality, prosecution rates, and intervention by the social authorities. Lines of best fit were generated and Cox and Stuart tests for trend were conducted.

Results: Public support for corporal punishment has declined, identification of children at risk has increased, child abuse mortality is rare, prosecution rates have remained steady, and social service intervention has become increasingly supportive and preventive.

Conclusions: The Swedish ban has been highly successful in accomplishing its goals.
Read the whole thing here if you want -> link to article.

Other than that, this article from a study done in New Zealand confirms that severe corporal punishment increases risk for juvenile offenses, substance abuse, mental health problems, suicide etc. However, since it deals with harsh punishment, probably harsher than the average, it's not that surprising and maybe not completely relevant. However, a ban on corporal punishment could help these victims too, so it is somewhat relevant even if they are a minority.

This article describes a link between physical punishment events in childhood and marital violence and aggression later in life. It suggests that elimination of corporal punishment can reduce some of the psychological and social processes that increase likelyhood of violence against spouses and possibly other forms of violence.
I see most people believe to a varying degree that a society without violence towards kids really means a society with no respect, no morale, no grasp of consequence. Sorry guys, I try to be respectful, but that just seems incredibly stupid to me.

As I wrote before, there are other ways of bringing up your children that has just as good if not better results than corporal punishment and they won't teach your kids that violence against children is justified. That's a lesson a lot of people learn from their parents and I think it's principally wrong, even if it's just a rare, quick slap.