Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #64 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
You misunderstand me. I'm saying you've got a wealth of all this great information but this is how many of us were raised. And seeing as how we didn't turn out to be criminals (most of us, anyways), it's hard for us to look back and say "well that was mighty nice and all but I kinda wish that Momma didn't smack me when I kicked my sister."

And for the record, there are DEFINITELY families that positive punishment doesn't work for (see: mine).
Yeah, but :

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
This thread is (also) about the impact of corporal punishment on society which is not something you can debate based on personal experience. Also, as tore states, anecdotal evidence is really no evidence at all to support a claim.
Thanks adidasss for being so understanding.

To lucifer_sam and everyone else, of course not everyone who gets corporal punishments turn into criminals. Then over 90% of the american population would be criminals.

You have to look at the question objectively and more holistically than personal experiences allow for which makes referring to such experiences rather futile and pointless when you look at the bigger picture.

"Should corporal punishment be banned? No, because I was beat and turned out fine." That is intuitive thinking right there, but a moment's thinking should make it appearant that making decisions for the whole of society based on you is not a good idea.

edit :

And so we rely on studies to guide our decisions ..