Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #69 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

cracking reviews, great for some read-along listening. I just copped Black Monk Time and it's everything promised and more, feel rather dense for not getting round to it earlier... How on earth was this 1966? 1968 I'd believe just maybe but there was nothing this raucous in 65/66 really. Fantastic. Raw garage that doesn't need a fuzzbox to get it's point across.

As for the Prunes - I have their Gregorian chant album Mass In F Minor and the song that they are still known for obviously, I'll have to check out these earlier albums. I fell off the the 60's wagon but I'm rectifying that gawdammit.

I always thought the Rokes were South American? When I find their album I'll read that review and only then!

I missed (was asleep) the 5pm Cellar Tapes on Monday, I can't tell you how pissed off I was. Do you have any audio for it? The Skip James feature was spot on, one thing I always loved about blues music is how cheap it was/is in the high street music stores, you could walk into HMV and go to the deserted blues/soul corner and pick up the complete '31 recordings of Skip for a fiver. He is definitely under appreciated as a guitarist/singer, R.Johnson seems to get all the attention. Maybe it's down to dodgy quality of the recordings?

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote