Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #72 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrocks View Post
What do the Beatles have to with the Monks? I don't understand why make the comparison. Other people made great albums and were not noticed is it the Beatles fault that it was not popular or influential. It's not like underground groups were coming up with the melodies or using really obscure musical sources and fusing it the way the Beatles did. Were underground rock groups composing songs with sitar, tabla, backward guitar, and using the Dorian Mode that is related to some ancient raga rather than the western form "Love You To".

The Beatles did more artistically on "Tomorrow Never Knows" in this one song than currents bands have done (and will do) in their entire careers. It blows my mind that Revolver was done on a 4 track mono soundboard. I'm a musician myself and have some understanding of recording equipment but they did this with 4 track technology. Tomorrow Never Knows they began experimenting with tape loops effects, musique-concrète, backward music, repetition drum & bass sound, and all in one song which influenced modern electronica.

Originality is no great virtue in rock'n'roll. Some of the best and most original artists tear the music down to its simplest components and rebuild from that foundation... Beatles in 1963, Ramones in 1976, Nirvana in 1990.
My right to reply is here mate
http://www.musicbanter.com/classic-r...tml#post617574

Last edited by TheCellarTapes; 03-19-2009 at 11:28 AM.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote