Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrawker07 View Post
something that comes to mind with the downfalls to the theory of evolution that you may have an answer for me. the sun is a burning ball of gas yes? there is a rate at with it burns away every year. we know the rate at which it burns. calculating that out over millions or billions of years would make the sun so big that it would burn the earth. something i read one time, and i'm not going to argue it as fact but if you have an opinion let me know. you seem to be pretty knowledgeable in the area of evolution.
According to what we know, the sun is destined to at some point (about 5 billion years) to become a red giant when the hydrogen "fuel" is spent. Basically, the sun will then expand and become so large that it will engulf the planets closest to it in the solar system.

No offence, but I don't see what this has to do with evolution.

As for my stance on what should be taught in schools, I think we should teach "truths". How do we know what's true and what's not? The truth is we can't, but truth doesn't have to be a black or white thing. There are different levels of credibility. For example, I can say I have a theory that you are a human. That theory is more credible than say the theory that you are in fact a dog. Why is it more credible? Every practical experience says you're not a dog. Does that mean that you're human is a fact? No, not really because we can't be 100% sure as ridiculous as it sounds.

Every time a child is born and does not have the exact same genetic makeup as a parent, that is a practical example of evolution right there. The most basic practical experiences give it support and it's a part of life just like our planet is warmed by the sun or that stuff tend to fall down towards the ground if you drop them. Maybe our knowledge of those phenomenas are still lacking details or maybe our lives are in fact all just dreams and the real world is not like that, so we call them theories even though they can for all practical reasons be considered truths.

I think we should teach those credible truths in school. Truths that can and have been tested by experiements and experience. Religion doesn't fall under that.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-19-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote