Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrawker07 View Post
the point toward evolution with the sun was that if it is burning away at a rate that we know and can calculate that rate as to how much smaller the sun gets every year. if we calculate that mass back to the sun there is no way the earth can be millions of years old. now this is also something i read once so i'm not going to pass it off as fact as i can't back it up.
What? I still don't get what you're after. As I mentioned, it is generally believed that the sun will burn up the last of it's hydrogen fuel in 5 billion years. This is claimed by the same scientists who believe the sun is about 4~5 billion years old today.

As far as I know, there's no scientific evidence out there today that says the earth cannot be millions of years old.

I don't know all the weird physics that are believed to happen in stars, but I'm sure you can find some answers to your questions regarding the sun on Wikipedia's article.

Quote:
what you consider credible and i consider credible are differing opinions. with all the scientific evidence that supposedly backs up evolution how come we have yet to find one fossil in all the fossils we've discovered that actually shows an animal in transition from a single celled organism to man or any variation along the line.
What? We have found lots and we're digging up more every day. You also posted we haven't found the "missing link" in human evolution. Sorry, but that's just popular creationist propaganda. The fact is that we're finding so many bones from different humans in Africa that biologists are finding it hard to fit everything together.

Life is always in a transitional stage, always adapting. You can look at whatever organism you want at any time.

If you want fossils, then Archaeopteryx is one of the most famous and iconic ones. It's a transitional stage if you will between dinosaur and bird.

Here's a model of what some think it may have looked like. Notice the absence of a beak for example.

Since the first archaeopteryx was discovered, we've found lots more. Sinosauropteryxes are the most primitive dinosaurs found that have fossilized feathers. Sinornis is an example of a prehistoric bird.

We also know of prehistoric ancestors of many of the animals around us today. Take the palaeomastodon for example, a likely ancestor to elephants or mastodons.

Quote:
there is also a difference between evolution and adaptation. the problem like i've stated is that creation falls under religion so without a belief in a god it would seem ridiculous. no more than i think evolution is ridiculous. but i don't see we can't teach them both. if there is so much evidence to back up evolution then supposedly anyone in their right mind would believe it over creation according to you so in turn is there any harm in teaching another theory??
Anyone in their right mind should believe in evolution. I've never read a single good scientific argument against it and as a biologist, I see it everywhere.

The problem about evolution is that religious people feel threatened by it and they are opposing it ferociously with tooth and claw. Indoctrination, brainwashing, pseudosciences, whatever they can say and do to decredibilize science in general - all tricks are being used. However, the thing is evolution has support in that's it's empirically true and it's not easy arguing against such truths. I think unless modern society and everything we know crumbles, people will inevitably accept it.