Music Banter - View Single Post - Drummers Unite: Rhythm Theory of Everything
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridical Fiction View Post
Exactly.
There's a certain zone you get in when playing music with other people and you begin feeling what the other people are feeling, by virtue of their playing and how their emotions show through what they're doing and how they're doing it.
That feeling is fuel that I feed off of when I'm playing music with others, and as a result, they feed off the emotion I create.

That's a dynamic that can be extremely hard to obtain in a band if all of its members aren't in tune to it.
ABSOLUTELY hehe i used to describe it as my conscious brain shutting off.

it's also been one of the biggest challenges i've faced over the last decade since most people only seem to know how to play their instrument within the confines of the styles they listen to. it almost becomes more of a meditative exercise than a musical one for me.

even those that 'get it' can be hard to get along with at times, i'll freely admit to being hard headed at times. difference being i'll be upfront about my views on playing music while most others will pussyfoot around the issue to avoid bruising egos. it's like if you're only 80% behind my view don't tell me you're 100% because it's what you think i want to hear hehe

i may not be a drummer but i'm ALWAYS up for a good discussion on the philosophy of playing music and expressing oneself through sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote