Music Banter - View Single Post - Drummers Unite: Rhythm Theory of Everything
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
ABSOLUTELY hehe i used to describe it as my conscious brain shutting off.

it's also been one of the biggest challenges i've faced over the last decade since most people only seem to know how to play their instrument within the confines of the styles they listen to. it almost becomes more of a meditative exercise than a musical one for me.

even those that 'get it' can be hard to get along with at times, i'll freely admit to being hard headed at times. difference being i'll be upfront about my views on playing music while most others will pussyfoot around the issue to avoid bruising egos. it's like if you're only 80% behind my view don't tell me you're 100% because it's what you think i want to hear hehe

i may not be a drummer but i'm ALWAYS up for a good discussion on the philosophy of playing music and expressing oneself through sound.
Why can't musicians that I know and actually live somewhat close to me be like this? One of the most important aspects of playing with other musicians is communication with each other. So many people at my highschool lack that (I can be like that as well), which makes it really difficult to get a band together. Not to mention that most of them have very limited taste in music and only seem to know/want to play that kind of music.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote