Music Banter - View Single Post - J and J Present: How To [Blank] In 7 Easy Tracks
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #156 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

i've been a quite busy with other stuff to have kept up with this until now, it's a shame this latest one hasn't been getting reps because it's great.

I'm partial to both halves, the down tempo stuff is a bit schmaltzy but, hey, that's teenage romance! There are some classic names I had been wanting to hear for a while on Janszoon's half as well - Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent... you know you've heard them before but they all kind of blur together. I was most pleased with Brown Eyed Handsome Man having only got the Buddy Holly version, who did it first? Bobby Vee for the big win btw - perfect!

So if Janszoon was doing drive-in American Graffiti, his wife/hubby (I forgot who wears the trousers in this thing?) Jackhammer has the Breakfast Club covered. I really love the Primitives but was only familiar with their crackly old C86 stuff, it's a bit of an epiphany, more garage indie bands should have unleashed their ear for pop in a professional 80's studio methinks. I'm always up for more classic 80's, and I'd only heard Pat Benatar's name used in a derogatory context before... why?!
It's all good but the crowning glory is the synth-pop of Icehouse; and if you are wondering what all the fuss is about with 80's Bowie then you'll want to cop it too.

edit: jan where did that Soul Coughing track come from? it sticks out like a (good) sore thumb

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 03-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote