Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #146 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Amplifier - Self Titled
From Rezz

This is an album I have actually wanted to hear for some time now. I have heard this band get mentioned a few times around these boards and it always seemed that they would be right down my street

It was a little more complex than I had expected it to be. I had been led to believe it was probably more of a straight forward stoner rock album than it actually was. I'm always looking for stoner rock or psychedelic rock recommendations that I may have never heard before and this album in a way satisfies both.

The album seemingly takes stoner rock, psychedelic rock and allows them to bleed into one another from track to track with some rather long space rock-esque segments and sudden bursts of aggression. The vocals do seem to compliment the music rather well although at times I was undecided on this. Clean vocals in this kind of band can be a little hit or miss with me and a little more aggression in the vocals may have been better suited in places. It's also a very long album which I don't usually have any problems with but I was finding myself growing slightly impatient after about 50 minutes or so. The album clocks in at just over an hour.

Still recommended however. Id imagine that after a few listens the length of the record wouldnt be an issue as I found more things I like about the album to maintain my interest. And if cleaner vocals are your thing then that may even be a positive for this band.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote