Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #76 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Time Box - Beggin' 1967-1969: the Sound of London's Mod/Club Scene
(2008)

Tracks

1. I Wish I Could Jerk Like My Uncle Cyril
2. I'll Always Love You
3. Soul Sauce
4. Waiting For The End
5. Save Your Love
6. Your Real Good Thing Is About To Come To An End
7. Come On Up
8. Woman That's Waiting
9. Beggin'
10. Walking Through The Streets Of My Mind
11. Don't Make Promises
12. Girl Don't Make Me Wait
13. Leave Me To Cry
14. Gone Is The Sad Man
15. Eddie McHenry
16. Barnabus Swain
17. Baked Jam Roll In Your Eye
18. Poor Little Heartbreaker
19. Stay There
20. Country Dan And City Lil
21. Love The Girl
22. Tree House
23. You've Got The Chance
24. Black Dog
25. Yellow Van
26. Promises
27. Timebox

The Time Box were formed in 1966, straight out of art school in Southport, Lancashire. Primarily a London based outfit, despite a couple of line up changes and internal issues, the band were constantly making quality music in the late sixties whilst touring all the major establishments in the city, most noticeably The Marquee. Indeed they even toured nationally with The Small Faces at their height, yet this quality band sadly never made an album, and never earned the success that they ultimately deserved.

A big Mod favourite, with this compilation from RPM we finally get the chance to hear what all the fuss was actually about, with a quality array of recordings on offer here from The Time Box.

Signed to the Deram wing of Decca between 67 and 69, they made several releases; however they struggled to gain exposure outside of the club and University circuits. But for a band that seamlessly managed to fuse jazz with Pop with such astounding results, it’s difficult to understand how they were so wilfully ignored and overlooked.

With this release I count at least eleven tracks, which will not disappoint in the slightest, and a further sixteen, which would pass as good strong stuff. Why this band never made an album as The Time Box, I will never know.

The stand out tracks include the title track; Beggin' is a cover of a Four Season's song, and they not only do it justice but make the song their own. This song in particular should have at least launched the band into stardom.

If that is not enough, Gone is The Sad Man, the brilliant Girl Don’t Make Me Wait and Eddie McHenry will certainly have you in a mini rage about people’s misguided ignorance towards this band. That’s just four songs by the way; seriously it’s no exaggeration to say this is a whole can of gems, which deserves attention from one and all.

The Time Box though came to a form of end in 1969. However they went on to form Patto (named after Time Box’s lead singer Mike Patto), that band would go on to release three albums in the 1970’s.

But thanks to this Time Box compilation from RPM, their output from the Sixties will never be over shadowed by their apparent glory years of the 1970's, and will indeed highlight actually how good this band really were in their prime, the 1960's.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote