Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #105 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
You're still ignoring the fact that Genesis is no less scientifically plausible than a mammal surviving his own death, a torturous and brutal death, and coming back three days later. The belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and his own magical powers is something that is fundamental to Christianity. This fundamental belief is directly in conflict with what science has observed in regards to what happens when a human being dies.
I hope your not expecting me to play apologetics here. My aim was not to get you to believe in christianity or even to defend it, but simply for you to not make the assumption that all of it's followers are gullible bible-thumping morons.
I am one of those rare people who picks and chooses what he believes from a wide varieties of faith because I do believe that all faiths have a certain degree of truth to them. And I find in most cases where the "facts" are disputable the metaphorical value that can be obtained from ignoring the literal and seeing through to the figurative is where wisdom is obtained. This is what is basically wrong with western religion. So much of peoples faith is exhausted on trying to believe in something literally, that no wisdom is able to penetrate into their lives.
Not to be offensive, but the same thing happens invertedly with atheists and reductionists.The "i'll believe it when I see it" mentality They become so obsessed with what can be proven scientifically that they ignore everything supernatural or metaphysical. Science has come a long way since Isaac newton died almost 300 years ago. Wev'e grown past reductionist based physical science and are well into the realm of quantum physics. Science and religion aren't really as at odds with each other as we used to think, and a lot of what we would have filed under supernatural 20 years ago is becoming widely accepted scientific theory. It takes a while for the general public to follow suit and internalize a new paradigm.
Creationism is still ridiculously stupid we can agree on that for now.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote