Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #132 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
22. Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man (1988)

The album that got me into the delights of Leonard Cohen's discography, and evidently the one I listen to the most. Like with Faith No More, I'm probably in a minority of Cohen fans that prefers his later work to his earlier work. While Songs From a Room and the aptly titled Songs Of Leonard Cohen are both fantastic acoustic folk albums, this here's the album which struck an instant chord with me. On the face of it, the thought of Leonard Cohen aiming at a larger audience by adopting commercial production techniques into his sound is pretty cringey - look no further than Never Let Me Down by David Bowie or Goodbye Cruel World by Elvis Costello for an example of how disastrous such a strategy can prove to be. By sheer contrast to the efforts of his 70s singer/songwriter contemporaries though, this approach has an opposite effect, producing an absolute gem of an album and, in my opinion, the guy's masterpiece. One of the reasons for this would be reining in the electronic studio effects nicely (only in a handful of places does the record sound at all dated, and nowhere near badly enough to drag the songs into mediocrity). Another is that Cohen is quite possibly my favourite ever lyricist, and that this is arguably the finest set of lyrics ever committed to an album. Thirdly, the songwriting is sublime, providing one of the best B-sides of any record (which, in the shape of I Can't Forget and Tower Of Song some of the most beautifully tender songs ever). It's folk-rock taken into the 80s, and benefiting from doing so massively. If it weren't for the fact that Ain't No Cure For Love is a bit of a turkey, this'd be top 10 stuff.
The best bits: Take This Waltz, I Can't Forget, Tower Of Song
This album was my introduction to Leonard Cohen too. I got into it when it was only a couple years old so the very 80s-sounding production wasn't noticeable to me then like it is now. These days I have to admit it somewhat negatively affects my enjoyment of the album. Like most of his albums it's bit hit-or-miss. As you mentioned, "Ain't No Cure for Love" is pretty bad and I'm also not a fan of the song "I'm Your Man", but for me "First We Take Manhattan", "Everybody Knows" and "Take This Waltz" more than make up for it.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote