Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #133 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
This album was my introduction to Leonard Cohen too. I got into it when it was only a couple years old so the very 80s-sounding production wasn't noticeable to me then like it is now. These days I have to admit it somewhat negatively affects my enjoyment of the album. Like most of his albums it's bit hit-or-miss. As you mentioned, "Ain't No Cure for Love" is pretty bad and I'm also not a fan of the song "I'm Your Man", but for me "First We Take Manhattan", "Everybody Knows" and "Take This Waltz" more than make up for it.
I agree with you about none of his albums being consistent and seamless brilliance in the way a lot of the other albums in this part of the list are, but this is as close as he gets for me. The title track is a little weak but as you say, the stronger moments more than make up for it (the last four tracks make for a sublime sequence of songs). As for the 80s effects, except for on the said tracks I've never really found them intrusive on the songs. Then again, I put the Human League's Dare in this list, so I like me a bit of 80s-style production then
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote