Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #138 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Don't worry, I didn't think you were. As for the production not really fitting Cohen's songs, it's true in one or two places, but he turns it into an advantage with the opener and actually makes a pretty experimental piece out of Jazz Police with them. Let's agree to ever-so slightly disagree anyway

Songs Of Love and Hate is a good 'un too. I'm a big fan of the Future and Death Of a Ladies' Man as well - well worth checking out for those yet to explore the man's discography.
Yeah, The Future is great, though like I'm Your Man it suffers from pop clunkers like "Be For Real" and "Always". I actually saw him on tour for that album and he was absolutely fantastic. I remember "Waiting for the Miracle" being especially good live.

And I have to say I agree with you about "Jazz Police". I think maybe if he embraced the 80s sounds more fully on other songs like he did on that song, he could've done some cool stuff. Maybe my problem with the production on I'm Your Man is that he didn't take it far enough in a particular direction.

Death Of a Ladies' Man is one of the few Leonard Cohen albums I don't own and have never heard. I'd be interested in giving it a listen if such a thing could be arranged though.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote