Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #121 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
she's abandoning her dependence on god. but crap, i've never heard about this box business before, i was taking it more on a metaphorical level.

life=sin=science. science is becoming so fascinated with the shadows in the cave that you try to map the relations between shadows, how one shadow gives rise to another, it is essentially a method of getting so lost in the shadows that you can't find your way back out. now to say that this is "sin" or "evil" is laughable to me, but it does lead to an estrangement from god.
In my latest post, I was trying to make the point that in order to get to paradise, you have to die first. That's literally what most christians by far believe. If you wanted to make a point that paradise is a "perfect" state of mind and that religion is the only way to reach it or somesuch, then I disagree. I don't think of religious people as particularly more harmonius than atheists.

Your metaphor about the shadows in the cave possibly bewilder and confuse more than they help. If you wanna make a point, you could perhaps try not be so abstract.

I don't know what you mean by "shadows", but if you substitute it for something like "reality" or "empirically proven truths" and that you can get "lost" in that, well .. I would say how can figuring out stuff about the universe we live in, where we come from, why we are here - make us lost? That people get enstranged from whatever beliefs they may have used to replace that knowledge with from before (religion), yes, there I agree with you .. and I think it's a good thing.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-23-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote