Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #128 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i think as far as "all is one" amounts to "love thy neighbor as you love yourself" has an extraordinary practical value that many people leave unexplored in their lives... of course this might not apply to you but i might suggest that perhaps you live more religiously than you realize.
So the "collapse of that boundary, which renders science effectively futile" is simply love thy neighbour. I don't think that leaves science futile because while loving our neighbours, we're still living our practical lives with our cars and computers. Also, as you've guessed, I don't think love for others exists solely within the confines of "religious experience".

If you think I live religiously, then you're using the term in a different way than I do. I think of it as something like living your life intentionally according to a religion. I don't think of it as being capable of love, morale or spirituality.

From your post, it seems you're now blaming science for a lack of empathy and love in society. Since science doesn't tell us how to live or love, I think that topic is more at home in a religious debate or in a discussion on society. In other words, instead of blaming science, maybe one should look to those areas instead to find the culprit.