Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #72 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
I would contest that, the songwriting on My Aim Is True is sharp as a razor, it's a lot less flabby than Get Happy!, which always seemed a bit rushed to me. I know you aren't big on the first two albums because they are the most popular and I agree Trust, I.B. and Spike etc are criminally underexposed) but I think they still measure up as masterful new wave/punk.

Hopefully anybody that has a rudimentary knowledge of the EC 'legacy edition' albums will be taking note and checking out some of those 80's classics.

Downloading some of the samplers btw
Well, my point wasn't that My Aim Is True and This Year's Model are at all not worthy of attention - they're very highly rated and rightly so. But the thing is a lot of people I've talked to stop there with the discography, when there are three absolute masterpieces and plenty of other truly great albums which don't get talked about half as much. I've done my bit here when it comes to bigging them up though (still gonna go through the rest of the albums with a fine-tooth comb though).

Good lad for sampling the samplers btw
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote